In addition to his activities as an artist, Fritz Griebel was professor of Painting and the Graphic Arts at the Academy of Fine Arts in Nuremberg from 1946. He was appointed director of the academy in 1948.
During his term as director from 1948 to 1957 the academy was rebuilt according to the plans of the architect Sep Ruf. At that time, it was the most modern academy building in Germany, together with the Bauhaus in Dessau.
In the course of several journeys to Italy, Fritz Griebel was inspired by the formal language of classical antiquity.